Thursday, August 31, 2006

Sick kids... tired mommy... is it naptime yet??

Just one of those weeks. First Sport was sick, grumpy, and running a fever Tuesday afternoon so I kept her home from preschool yesterday. She seemed perfectly normal all morning except for the wigging out and crying everytime she needed a tissue. She's one of those weird kids that cannot stand for her nose to be running-she stops dead in her tracks and starts shrieking for a tissue. You'd think it was the end of the damn world the way she acts. Anyhow, no matter how many Kleenex boxes I have all over the house if there is not one in her lap she wigs out and crys until someone hands the poor child a tissue. Good grief!! So I spent the morning wiping snot-lovely. And the baby has the nasty green runny nose that runs all over her face and gets that dried smeared look in her hair. Sorry if that's TMI but really if you have kids it shouldn't bother you at all. In fact, that's something my DH and I were discussing recently... after you have a kid your grossness factor pretty much goes away. If you have one of those babies that doesn't spit up or have blow-out escaping poopy diapers then you're pretty lucky (and lying) and may still experience the occasional grossed out moment... but in my experience by the time your toddler is old enough to say "here, Mommy" in the car and hand you a large booger it really doesn't affect you much other than saying sarcastically to said toddler "Thanks honey but next time wipe it on your shirt". I did learn from that particular experience and now keep a small box of tissues in the car where I can reach it. Anyhow, in their short lives I've been peed on, pooped on, thrown up/spit up on, sneezed on, you name it. I really don't think anything can phase me anymore. Oh, wait, blood does still freak me out a little but I'm able to handle the situation, clean up and care for the injured child, and then go hide in my bathroom and flip out in private. All those years as a preschool teacher I've seen quite a few boo-boo's.

Back to the sick kids. So, we're off to the store today to get more cold medicine (hopefully the kind that makes them sleepy...) and more Dora the Explorer chicken noodle soup-which is the only way to get soup into a stubborn 3 year old. And a few more Snickers bars for Mommy, along with coffee and soda. Too bad I'm preggo or I'd get the bottle of wine, too.

See ya,
Beth

No comments: