Sunday, September 03, 2006

My wonderful DH just took Sport on an outing!

I know that doesn't sound like something to get so excited about but the baby is sleeping, the house is quiet... so I'm surfing the 'net and drinking my coffee. It's just so relaxing to have time to myself. (Of course I am crossing my fingers and praying that Spud doesn't wake up early from her nap!) There is a nagging voice in my head telling me that there are piles of laundry sitting in front of the washer and dirty dishes in the sink but for now I will try to ignore that voice.

Anyhow, when last I wrote I was in the middle of crazy sick kids week. I absolutely HATE it when the kids are sick. Luckily they are better now, although little Spud still has a bit of a cough. She never got too crabby, thank God, just slightly more snuggly than usual and she woke up a couple of times in the night. Sorry, are you guys out in cyber land falling asleep yet?

I'll change the subject for you. Let's talk about identity. Have you noticed (if you're a woman, that is) that your identity is tied to being a spouse or a mom? I am known in playgroup circles as "Sport's Mommy" not as my own name. It's really not a big deal when kids call me that, as they are all around my DD's age-3 years... BUT when other mommies do it you kind of want to smack them. Not that I normally refer to myself as a feminist but I do believe that a woman retains her own identity, even after marriage and kids. I mean, come on, we aren't all Stepford Wives or anything, are we? My DH married me because I have strong ideas and opinions and even though sometimes we disagree and tend to argue back and forth he'd rather have someone who will debate him on issues than someone who instantly agrees with him all the time. Personally I think he'd be bored if I agreed with him all the time! There are a few things we have had to learn to agree to disagree on and while we do sometimes get a little heated in our discussions it's because we are both rather passionate about our ideas. We (most of the time) manage to argue in a respectful manner (or table the discussion until the kids are in bed).

I think my biggest problems with relationships with other people-friends and family-are that I tend to have strong opinions and I'm not afraid to honestly state my opinions. I do try for the sake of family harmony to not blurt out an opinion to someone who is overly sensitive but I'm also not going to completely sugar coat something if I believe that someone needs a rude awakening. I also don't believe it's polite to be brutally honest with someone JUST to hurt their feelings or get a reaction out of them. But, if you flat out ask me for an honest opinion then you had better expect to get one!

Okay, enough ranting... that laundry seems to have gotten louder so I really should do something about it now.

Beth



No comments: